Premier League

Manchester United maintained their unbeaten start to the season after coming from behind to beat West Ham United after a dramatic finish to the game at the London Stadium. Said Benrahma’s deflected strike gave the hosts the lead before Cristiano Ronaldo levelled.

The game looked to be drifting towards a draw, but Jesse Lingard, who spent last season on loan at West Ham, fired a shot into the top corner. West Ham were awarded a penalty deep into stoppage time after a VAR review and captain Mark Noble was brought on to take it, however his spot kick was saved by David De Gea.

Manchester City were unable to manage a shot on target as they were held to a goalless draw by Southampton at the Etihad Stadium.

Southampton were awarded a penalty in the second half after Kyle Walker brought down Adam Armstrong, but after a VAR review the penalty award and Walker’s red card were both overturned.

League One

Wigan Athletic moved top of the table after a comfortable win at Accrington Stanley. Jack Watmough gave the Latics an early lead from James McClean’s corner, with Will Keane doubling the lead on 18 minutes.

Michael Nottingham pulled one back for Accrington on 53 minutes, but Charlie Wyke restored Wigan’s two-goal lead just five minutes later. Wyke added his second and Wigan’s fourth in stoppage time.

Bolton Wanderers suffered their first home defeat of the season as they were beaten by Rotherham United, despite having 71% possession and twice as many chances as the visitors.

Rotherham only had three shots on target in the match, but two of them were finished off by Ben Wiles within four first half minutes as the visitors recorded their first win over Bolton since 2000.

League Two

Oldham Athletic remain bottom of the table after a goalless draw with Hartlepool United in an uneventful game, where the real story was taking place outside the ground as more than 500 fans protested against owner Abdallah Lemsagam.

Rochdale missed the chance to move into the play-off places as they were held to a draw by Mansfield Town, who ended a run of five successive defeats.

Danny Cashman had given Rochdale the lead five minutes into the second half, but substitute Danny Johnson levelled on 72 minutes, not long after coming on, to rescue a valuable point for the hosts.

Salford City were beaten 2-0 at Tranmere Rovers in a game which saw both sides have a player sent off in the first half. Kieron Morris gave Tranmere the lead on 13 minutes and 7 minutes later, Salford were reduced to 10 men when Ibou Touray was shown a straight red card. 

Jay Spearing was also given his marching orders in first half stoppage time, but Salford were unable to find a way back into the game as early in the second half Elliott Nevitt doubled Tranmere’s advantage.

Matt’s View

While the on the pitch drama involving Greater Manchester’s sides took place in West London and Tranmere this weekend, the unfolding story at Oldham Athletic has begun to gain national attention.

The Latics were one of the founder members of the Premier League in 1992, but the discontent the fans feel towards their owner has been simmering for some time and this season it has now spilled over.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s